Saturday, August 23, 2014

Parting Shots

Friday morning Bob, Tom, Maureen, Nancy and I played golf again.  It was cool and very foggy and at times we could not see more than 75 yards, so we just hit the ball and hoped we could find it.
Friday night we had our farewell dinner at the Log Den restaurant.












This morning we said our goodbyes and headed south to the heat and humidity.  We had a very nice drive along the coast of Lake Michigan until we got to Chicago.  We had planned to take the I-294 loop but our TOM TOM said there was a traffic delay and told us to take I-94 through the middle of town, BIG MISTAKE.  The traffic was stop and go for miles and we were running low on fuel so we had to exit the freeway. After filling up I realized that I could not get back out of the filling station the same way I came in and had to exit on a very narrow street that took me several tries to negotiate with the trailer.  Before we could work our way back to the freeway a heavy line of thunderstorms made the traffic even slower than before.  It ended up taking us another hour to get out of Chicago.
At least the rain kept the temperature down so we don't have to face the heat for another day.
Gas was $4.50/gal for premium in Chicago.

Hazy skies over Chicago

Storm's a-coming!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a great time. I especially love the log cabin resturaunt!

    As for driving through Chicago...been there, done that with the trailer and without. All I can say is, "Are you nuts?!?" South of Milwaukee you should have taken I-43 southwest to I-39/90 toward Rockford and gone south from there. Yeah, it's a bit longer but how much is your sanity (or your life!) worth?

    ReplyDelete