Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Valdez day 2





Surprise, surprise, it was cold and rainy today. No wonder it is so hot in the lower 48, all the cold air is staying up here. Temps here were in the lower 50s all day with constant drizzle most of the day.
I think I need to buy this t-shirt (remember to double-click to enlarge pictures :warning: adult content)

We started the day with a wonderful potluck pancake breakfast. We had pancakes, bacon, eggs, sausage, hash browns, and etc.
We had the rest of the day free so Nancy and I went to a couple of local museums that were very good.


These parkas look like plastic but are actually made from animal intestinal lining.



Shannon, how do you like this kayak?


After the museums we filled up the truck. Gas is $3.77 at the only station in town. Then we went grocery shopping.
The rain stopped so we walked down to the harbor and looked for some geocaches. The whole town of Valdez was moved after the 1964 earthquake so there are not many old buildings like Skagway but it is much less touristy than Skagway and the mountains here are gorgeous.

Tomorrow we take another boat trip to see wildlife and glaciers, I just hope the water is calm.


Shannon, this is for you.



1 comment:

  1. Was that first kayak made out of animal skins?
    I love the last picture! The colors are so vibrant! What a neat picture. I don't know if I'd like to do much kayaking on the cold, rough seas up there! I hope the water is calm for your next ride!

    ReplyDelete