Monday, June 7, 2010

One week and counting...

The long awaited day is almost here. Still finding things to do to get ready.  Went to the RV dealer a few weeks ago to buy spare trailer bearings and they told me they needed the part number off the existing bearing (even though they sold me the trailer).  So I jacked the trailer up by pulling the back wheel up on a stack of boards and removed the wheel, removed the bearing, got the part number, put it all back together and pulled the trailer off the boards.  Went back to the RV dealer today with the part number and she says, "Well, I really need to know the brand of the axle and the width of the hub."  Not looking forward to removing a wheel again, I went to Autozone but they did not have the size I needed but told me to go to Northern Tools.  So I went to NT and sure enough, there was the bearing kit I needed (same part number as mine) with 2 bearings, races and seals for $14.50.  So glad I don't have to pull a wheel again. Hope I don't need these spares any time soon!  At least I know how to change a bearing now and have all the necessary tools.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! We have a squeaky wheel...so maybe it's a bearing.
    Our TOAD broke down over the weekend and hubby googled the problem. He did some comparison shopping and $46 later the Jeep runs!

    See you on the road?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably is a bearing. See if the hub is extra hot next time you stop, need to change bearing before it does more damage.

    ReplyDelete